Effective April 1. 2011
As a result of regulatory changes made by the Federal Reserve Board, Frost will no longer authorize and pay overdrafts
on your everyday debit card transactions, unless you request it. Everyday transactions include one-time purchases made
using your debit card at grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and other merchants, as well as one-time purchases or
payments made online or by phone.
When you don't have enough money in your checking or designated overdraft protection account to pay for an expense,
your consent allows Frost to consider authorizing and paying the transaction using our discretionary overdraft
For many of our customers, this service is a very helpful resource. Whether or not you have used it before, most people
find it comforting to know that Frost will attempt to authorize and pay overdrafts for everyday debit card transactions.
- Convenience - allows you to make a purchase even
if you don't have the funds available in your account.
- Emergency Backup - allows you to use your debit
card in an emergency situation.
How it Works
If there is not enough money available in your checking or
designated overdraft protection account to cover a purchase,
your consent allows Frost to consider authorizing and
paying the transaction at our discretion*.
How Much it Costs
There is no charge for signing up for this service.
If we pay a transaction that overdraws your account,
our standard overdraft fee of $33 will be assessed.
When an overdraft occurs, you are responsible for
promptly bringing your account to a positive balance.
How to Give Consent
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on your
everyday debit card transactions, please let us know:
- Online - log in to My Frost Online Banking at
- By phone - call us at 1-800-513-7678
- By mail - complete the attached Overdraft Services
authorization form and mail to us Frost, Attn: CIF, P.O.
Box 1600, San Antonio, TX 78296
- In person - stop by your nearest financial center
In addition to our standard overdraft practices,
we offer Overdraft Protection plans.
Overdraft protection allows us to automatically transfer
money from another Frost checking, savings or personal
line of credit to cover a transaction. You choose the
account you want linked as coverage. If you do not
overdraw your account, you will not be charged. Please
refer to our Schedule of Fees for information on the
fees that will be assessed if we pay an item from your
overdraft protection account. Overdraft protection
may be less expensive than our discretionary overdraft
Keeping up with your account balances
- View your account in My Frost Online Banking.
- Sign up for a low-balance e-mail alert through My Frost.
- Check your balance through Frost Mobile web.
- Call us at 1-800-233-9874.
- Check balances through the ATM.
We're here to answer any questions you may have.
To learn more about overdrafts and overdraft fees, please call us at 1-800-513-7678.
What You Need to Know About Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we
pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or personal line of credit, which
may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask a Frost banker about our
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- ACH transactions
- Automatic bill payments
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following type of transaction unless you ask us to (see below):
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always
authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will I be charged if Frost pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $33 for each item that overdraws your account more than $5.
- There is a daily limit of $165 on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
What if I want Frost to authorize and pay overdrafts on my everyday debit card transactions?